Latina Victim

If I am a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or other crime, what immigration options are available to me?
There are three ways immigrants who become victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and some other specific crimes may apply for legal immigration status for themselves and their child(ren). A victim’s application is confidential and no one, including an abuser, crime perpetrator or family member, will be told that you applied.

  • Self-petitions for legal status under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)
  • Cancellation of removal under VAWA
  • U-nonimmigrant status (crime victims)

These immigration benefits each have specific requirements that must be established.  Consult an immigration lawyer who works with victims of domestic violence to discuss how any of these immigration benefits may affect or assist you.

Comments are closed.